Saturday, January 28, 2012

Johnny Van Zant - American Hero

Now that I'm back online, I've been catching up a little.  I've been watching a lot of music, including one of my favorites, Lynyrd Skynyrd.

I don't know that anyone on earth could have possibly taken the place of Ronnie Van Zant, who died in a plane crash in 1977, but his younger brother took on the task, and has done an excellent job.  Johnny has a presense on stage that almost rivals his brother's.

The amazing thing about Ronnie Van Zant was his presence.  He walked out on every stage like he owned it, the joint they were playing in, and the city where the venue was located.  In person, he was rather soft spoken, almost shy.  Johnny has been doing that pretty well since his first appearance with the band.

Lynyrd Skynyrd is iconic in southern culture.  If you're under the age of 80 and live in my part of the country, you've heard them.  If you haven't heard "Sweet Home Alabama", "Tuesday's Gone", "Simple Man", or "Free Bird", you're missing a lot of American culture, especially the southern part of it.

Kudos to Johnny Van Zant, carrying on in the tradition of his big brother and keeping the music alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments. All I ask is that you keep it clean here.