Monday, March 28, 2011

Great Race at California. Say What?

It's seems strange to say it, but the last 10 or so laps of Sunday's California race were among the best I've seen so far in the 2011 season.  Just when it looked like Kyle Busch was going to complete another sweep weekend, he falls from first two third in just a couple of laps.

Kevin Harvick came seemingly out of nowhere and passed first Busch, then Jimmie Johnson, who only himself had just passed Kyle for the lead.  Kevin put his front bumper to the rear of Jimmie's Chevrolet, got Jimmie loose, and passed on the outside.

But wait, this really happened at California?  Indeed it did.

I will admit, the first 190 laps or so were not very exciting.  I was about ready to quit watching the race altogether when JJ and Kevin began to close in on Kyle.  I'm glad I hung around to watch the end.

I already had said to a friend how much I liked the paint scheme on the 29 Chevy of Kevin Harvick.  At California, he had Jimmy Johns as his primary sponsor, and the car, at least from the side, was white.  It reminded me of his cars during his rookie Cup season in 2001, when he won his first cup race in only his third start at Atlanta.  (Oh, how I missed Atlanta this spring, but more on that at another time)

Congratulations to Kevin Harvick, Richard Childress, and all the RCR guys in a great win in Kevin's home state.  That win will probably rank up there with some of Kevin's favorite wins, considering who he passed in the final laps to take the checkered flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments. All I ask is that you keep it clean here.