Sunday, January 23, 2011

This Is Going To Be Fun

NASCAR has announced some new rules regarding the way things are done.  That’s NASCAR’s prerogative, of course, and for a change, it appears that they are doing things that will make fans happy.  What a wonderful concept.

First of all, the points rules appear to be changing once again.  Supposedly, the winner of a race will be rewarded more for winning, which is a concept unto it’s self.  Rather than repeatedly rewarding drivers for finishing in the top 10, the points will be more heavily favorable to the winner of the race.  What goes around comes around I guess.  Isn’t that the way it used to be?

There’s a shake up in the works that will effect the outcome of the Nationwide series as well.  Drivers now have to choose, on their license applications which series they are competing for a championship in.  I think that this will help keep the Cup guys from overshadowing the Nationwide guys.  I’d rather see someone like Jason Keller win a championship in Nationwide than somebody like Carl Edwards, or Kyle Busch.  Carl and Kyle play in the big leagues, and that’s where their efforts should be concentrated, as far as I’m concerned.  Let the full time Nationwide guys settle it among themselves.  I love that the Cup stars spice up the Nationwide series, but I’ve never been happy that they dominate it, at least as far as the championship goes.

Personally, I’m glad that NASCAR has made the changes they have, among other changes that I’m not even prepared to discuss here.  I’m glad that NASCAR is being proactive about their venture, to use a little business speak.  They need to keep trying to tweak the sport a little to attract more posteriors into seats, since they started playing with the format since the coronation of Brian France.  They’ve played with the system so much, they pretty much have to keep playing with things to keep the fans interested.  What’s most interesting, at least to me, is that the more NASCAR changes, the more it gets back to where it was a decade or more ago.

Just look at the cars.  The rear spoiler is back, and now there is no strange looking front splitter on the Cup cars for 2011.  NASCAR calls it something like a splitter without struts, but it’s basically an air dam, just like the old cars used to have.  I like the way the new cars look compared to the ridiculous wings and splitters that we used to watch.  The cars look way more like real cars to me.  I’m much more inclined to buy a die cast replica more than I have been since the advent of the COT, or Car Of Tomorrow.  Basically those cars were a bastardization of NASCAR’s original plan.  The acronym ’NASCAR’ stands for the National Association for Stock Car Automobile Racing.  What the heck was stock about that wing and splitter?  I know, we’ve gotten a long way from the original race cars, which were literally cars just off the dealer lots.  I still somewhat wish we could turn back time and go back to those days, but I’m afraid it’s a little too late to do that.  I grew up after those years though, and wish this stuff was closer to being as simple as it was back in the 1970’s.  Yeah, I know, when it comes to NASCAR, I’m a dinosaur.

On a side note, so much for my plan to write more in 2011.  I’ve recently been hired full time by a company I’ve worked for before, so time is a little short lately  You see, my basic problem is that I‘ve got to eat.  I‘d do this all day if I could afford to.  I promise I will do all I can to write as much as I can at night and on weekends.  My love for this sport in not diminished at all, and I plan to watch each and every single race this year, and for the rest of my life, for that matter.  As long as stock car racing exists, and I’m alive, I’ll be here.  You can rest assured of that.

By the way, there is a major redesign of this site coming up.  I had hoped to get it up by the end of the year, but I ran out of time on that.  I’m going to be making changes slowly through the rest of the winter, and hopefully by Daytona, I’ll have it fixed.  Thank you for your patience. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    My name is Ashley and I blog at Embracing Beauty.com. I recently did a review for a Bed & Breakfast in Tenn. and they are currently offering a discounted rate for NASCAR fans for the Bristol race (March 18th-20th). I thought this might be something you would like to share with your readers. All the details can be found here (http://embracingbeauty.com/2011/02/28/my-mini-vacation-review-and-discounts-for-nascar-fans/) but if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

    I'm sorry to post this on here but I couldn't find your email address.

    Thank you for your consideration,

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments. All I ask is that you keep it clean here.