Sunday, March 7, 2010

Answering Reader's Questions

As part of the routine of writing on this site, I often am asked questions by readers.  Sometimes they come as comments posted here, but more often than not, they come in the form of an e-mail, which, of course is OK by me.  My e-mail address is jimcinsc@gmail.com.

I’m not an expert on anything, and I can only tell you that anything you read here is purely my opinion.  With that in mind, I decided that maybe I should put some of the questions and answers here, where all can read.  I only use the reader’s name and location if they consent.  So far, all the folks I’ve corresponded with have not had a problem with that.

So here goes.  If you like this type of stuff, let me know, and I’ll be happy to do more of it.

Jayson from Milford, Delaware asks “I saw on TV that Jamie McMurray and Juan Pablo Montoya were friends.  What was that stuff at Vegas all about?”

I can only say that I don’t know exactly what kind of relationship that Jamie and Juan have, but I think it was a racing deal.  Jamie would never have taken out his teammate on purpose.  Jamie McMurray not only took out Juan as a contender in the Las Vegas race, but he also took himself out.  I think it was a total accident, and Jamie apologized for it.  It was a big blow to the Earnhardt-Ganassi team, but they will recover and both will probably be strong contenders at Hampton, GA this weekend.

Sarah from Lansing, Michigan asks “What is going on with the 24 team?  I thought Steve Letarte was supposed to be a genius, but that last call for 2 tires instead of 4 hurt Jeff (Gordon’s) chances of winning.  I’m so sick and tired of seeing Jeff lose races because the team can’t get it together.”

Sarah, all I can say is that Steve blew that call.  They had 35 or so laps to go, and they needed most of a full tank of gas, so they had time to put on 4 tires.  I know that Steve Letarte is beating himself up over that call, but he was trying to keep Jeff out front, and he did, but we all know what happened after Johnson, Knaus, and company put 4 fresh Goodyears on the 48.  When I saw that the 24 only took 2 tires, I knew that the race was pretty much over.

Steve Letarte is a good crew chief, and the fact that he’s been with Jeff Gordon for so long says a lot.  Chad Knaus, on the other hand, has an almost paranormal ability to make the right calls in the pits.  Is Chad a better crew chief than Steve?  Statistics sort of prove that, at least over the last few years.  Jeff will win more races.  He should have won on Sunday, but he didn’t.  Jeff Gordon will win some races this year.

Jonathon from Gallup, New Mexico asks “Do you think the COT (Car Of Tomorrow) is good for NASCAR?  If so, why?”

Jonathon, my personal jury is still out debating that particular question.  The COT is a safer car, for sure, and I’m always for safety.  As dramatic as crashes are, I never want to see a driver get hurt, or God forbid, killed.  I think all true fans of the sport feel the same way.  I do think that the COT has made for some lousy racing lately, however.  The wing was a horrible idea, and the sooner we get back to the rear spoiler, the better.  Personally, I’m not a huge fan of NASCAR’s penchant for evening up the playing field to the extent that they have.  I’d like to see innovative crew chiefs figure out ways to beat the competition on the track, just like they used to do back in the ‘80’s and ‘90’s.  To me, the COT was NASCAR moving one step closer to the old IROC series, where each competitor was given a car that prepared just exactly like all the others.  IROC is dead.  There’s a reason for it.

Bring back the spoilers, relax the rules a little, and NASCAR will be just fine.

LJ from Medford, Oregon writes:  “You stupid redneck Dale JUUUUUNIIIOORR  lovers are idiots.  That boy can’t drive a racing car.  The sooner you stupid (expletive deleted) figure that out, the sooner you will find a driver who ACTUALLY can drive a tractor, much less a racing car.  All this love for the Jr nation is totally stupid, dude”

LJ, you know what?  I’d like to find out how many tractor races you’ve won.  If you’ve won 2 championships in the 2nd level tractor racing series, and 18 tractor races in the premier tractor racing series, you and me can talk.  You don’t win the races that Dale Earnhardt Jr. has won without the ability to drive.  He’s won the Daytona 500, dude.  He’s won at Bristol, Richmond, Atlanta, Phoenix, and Chicago.  LJ, that dude knows how to drive a tractor!  Go fix your mommy a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and have a good day, dude.

Finally, Rich from my home state of South Carolina asks:  “Why do you write?”

It’s really simple, Rich.  I don’t know how to do much of anything else.

Let me know what you think, or ask me your own questions either by commenting here, or you can leave me an e-mail at jimcinsc@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments. All I ask is that you keep it clean here.