Thursday, February 4, 2010

Do You Feel The Need For Speed?

I know that I do.  It’s racing season, and things are starting to get cranked up in Daytona.  For me, at least, I can’t wait.  I love speed weeks.  I can’t say that enough, because speed weeks gets my blood flowing.

It’s like a spring thaw.  Florida was hit with some of the coldest temperatures they’ve had in years, if forever.  California has seen some of the worst  rainstorms and snowstorms in decades.  In other words, doomsday is near at hand, right?

NASCAR  has the perfect solution to this bad weather, bad feeling that winter leaves behind.  The Budweiser Shootout, the Twin races, and the actual Daytona 500 are just around the corner.  We’ve got a ton of racing in NASCAR just around the corner, and it couldn’t come soon enough for me.

It’s been an unbelievably long off season, at least for me.  It seems like it’s been years since the guys were on the track.  I know it hasn’t been that long, but at the tender age of 46, I still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.  When I get older, maybe I’ll stop believing in the tooth fairy.

To me, February is the real Christmas, at least as far as racing goes.  No, no, I still believe in Christmas on December 25th because that is the day of the birth of my savior Jesus Christ.  But February 14th will have special meaning for me this year, because Valentine’s day coincides with the Daytona 500.  I’m hopelessly romantic, and though I’ve got no sweetheart to spend Valentine’s day with, I will be wired and fired up for the Daytona 500.

For me, Daytona is the best part of the year.  Gas fumes, burning rubber, can it get any better than this?

I don’t think so.

I’ll be back lots with more thoughts as Speed Weeks gets under way. 

Whoever your favorite driver is, I wish him or her well this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments. All I ask is that you keep it clean here.