Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Random Thoughts heading to Darlington

I write because I can, and not because I'm good at it. I write to get better, each and every day. I'm at somewhat of a disadvantage, because I'm white, southern, and male. Some folks can spout off almost anything and get noticed. I can't. So I write.

I try not to be controversial, because I'm not one to stir up the muck. I like to please people, but I know that I can't please everyone all the time. And when I irritate you with my words, just remember, they're words. I don't have enough bullets to kill everyone that disagrees with everything I say! Not that I'd want to do that anyway.

I found it interesting to note that I got a lot of readers on my recent post about Kyle Busch and Dale Earnhardt Jr. Some actually responded and were very kind. What you don't know is the number of people that e-mailed me and told me some horrible things would happen to me if I keep bashing Kyle Busch. I'm guessing that this was maybe one or two people with multiple e-mail addresses that e-mailed me over and over. Most of the messages were the same: "Kyle Busch is GOD!" "Kyle Busch will kill you." You guys keep it up. You're hilarious. I hope your Mommy doesn't find out that you're sending hate mail and death threats.

In a way, I guess I'm getting noticed the way Kyle Busch is, but saying a few things that I believe are true and getting hammered for them. I know the e-mails are a bunch of bunk, but they still make me feel somewhat sad, like the kids in this country can not be educated more poorly than they are. I know deep down that I'm just doing what I was born to do. You, as the reader, have the option to read or not read. If you read, great. If you don't read, I don't mind.

I would ask this though. Mothers and fathers, check out what your kids are doing on the Internet. This can be a dangerous place, and you need to monitor what your kids are doing. I've got some ip addresses that I can hand over to a federal investigator, and he will move on them, because these are death threats. I'm not going to do that, because I know these are kids, but please know that eventually they will end up in a lot of trouble, if their idea of fun is to send death threats to an author.

Moving on, I have read many stories over the last few days about the Earnhardt/Busch incident at Richmond. The press seems to be divided pretty much evenly about who's fault the accident was. There are Jr. haters and Jr. lovers in the press, so objectivity is out the window here. Some claim that Dale Jr. should have stayed high, because if he gets wrecked, people will blame the other driver. What drivel. Jr. has the same right to race where ever he damn well pleases. Excuse my language, but I'm starting to get tired of the press bashing Jr. for racing hard. Dale Earnhardt Jr. is a man, and he's willing to own up to his mistakes, when he makes them. That's something that cannot be said for Kyle Busch.

As far as I can see, Dale Earnhardt Jr. did not make a mistake at Richmond. He gave Kyle plenty of room on the bottom of the track and then Kyle got loose, and turned his steering wheel RIGHT, into the 88 car of Dale Jr. I'm beginning to think that Kyle belongs back on the dirt tracks, where hanging the tail out is just fine. That's NOT what you do on an asphalt track though. I don't think Kyle knows the difference. He drives a sloppy loose car all race long, and he doesn't care who he hits. That, my friends, is not talent. It's being a jerk.

If you can't drive the race car in a straight line, it might be time to get off the track. Kyle Busch deserves every hate mail he's getting not just from the Earnhardt fans, but from all fans of racing, everywhere. What Kyle did is a rookie mistake, but I notice he's not a rookie anymore.

Kyle, grow up. Dale, just keep doing what you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments. All I ask is that you keep it clean here.