Sunday, March 9, 2008

Tempering Raw Emotion with Cool Reasoning

Now that I've time to reflect on it, and had a night's rest, I'm going to devote even more precious space here to one of my least favorite drivers; Kyle Busch. This time, I'm going to be a little more composed, and I will use my head, and not my heart.

For those of you who didn't see yesterday's Nationwide race, here's what happened in a nutshell. Kyle Busch led nearly every lap of the race, until he blew a tire and hit the wall late in the race. Kyle didn't just lead, but absolutely dominated the field. Every restart, he basically just drove away, and kept driving away. It was as if his car had about 50 more horse power than any other car did. Was Kyle upset when he crashed out of the race? You bet. Should he have been upset? Of course. I don't blame him for the fact that he was upset. I don't really blame the pit reporters for trying to get a short interview with him too, knowing it was probably going to make for some good TV. Kyle had two options at that point. He could either grant going on live TV or he could have declined to have the interview.

Kyle did the foolish thing. Without stopping, Kyle gave ESPN pit reporter Shannon Spake a couple of very snotty, short answers. I was immediately reminded of a spoiled 10 year old, who had just been sent to his room for the rest of the day.

I watched the race live, and was somewhat perturbed over Kyle's behavior. Later, last night, I replayed that portion of the race, and this time I just went ballistic over Kyle's behavior. I don't know why I went off after seeing it the second time, but I did. I went to my favorite place on the Internet, The Dale Jr. Pit Board, and made a post in which I basically insulted Kyle Busch. And now I realize I am guilty of the same childish behavior that I accused Kyle of. I opened my mouth before I had my emotions fully under control

In retrospect, Kyle probably should have declined the interview. People would have said he was a baby anyway, me included probably. But at least he wouldn't have proven that yes, a 23 year old man can show that he is as emotionally mature as a spoiled brat 10 year old. I'm not saying that Kyle is a spoiled brat, but he, like me, tends to shoot off his mouth when he's upset.

In retrospect, I should have watched the replay of Kyle's interview without a dangerous weapon literally in front of me. That weapon is of course my computer. I'm in control of this puppy. I can use it for good things, or I can use it for bad things. Last night, I made a poor choice, and went to the Pit Board and did something that I shouldn't have done. I made a very negative post about another driver. The Pit Board doesn't ban such talk per se, but they do try to discourage it. I'm on of the people on the Pit Board who tries very hard to keep peace there, but last night I failed miserably. Like a 23 year old driver, this 44 year old fan lost his cool, and said things he shouldn't have said. For those whom I offended, I am deeply sorry and ashamed.

I'm also somewhat ashamed of some of the things I wrote on this very blog last night, but I will not delete what I wrote. I will leave it there so that people will maybe see what I'm talking about.

To Kyle Busch, and his fans I say this. Kyle, you are a fantastic driver. You might just be the best talent out there. Your car control abilities are just out of this world. To some of us, you rub us the wrong way, but you are the real deal, my young friend. You deserve all the accolades you get in this sport. You are truly a great driver. When you have problems, I would suggest that maybe you decline an interview for a while next time. I'm saying that because I know you, like me get emotional about things. Your fans love you because you are such a great driver. I'm sorry for irritating any of your fans by doing things that I shouldn't. I am old enough to know better. When I was 23, I was probably very much like you. At nearly double your age, I should know better.

To all my friends on the Pit Board, I'll be back. I just need to take a little break, but I'll be reading every day. Thanks to those who have had so many kind words for me. I hope this blog will help explain why I was upset with myself last night, and in a lot of ways, I still am.

The Atlanta race is always one of my favorites. I've been to several races there, and as a matter of fact, Atlanta is the only track that I saw two of my favorite drivers win at: Dale Earnhardt and Dale Jr. Two of the best days in my life. I wouldn't take a million bucks for either experience.

Thanks for playing along, folks. I'll see you around the next corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments. All I ask is that you keep it clean here.