Friday, October 5, 2007

Testing the COT

Note: This was originally posted March 1, 2007.

Hello, and Thanks again for reading what's on my mind. The COT is fortunately something that I had much experience with, earlier in my life, So I feel I can speak frankly on this.

Oh, not that COT? Ooops. Wow do I feel like a fool now. COT apparently stands for Car Of Tomorrow, which Nascar Nextel Cup teams will be racing for the very first time at Bristol. Many people, both inside and outside of Nascar have designated the car as ugly. I have a slightly different opinion. I think the car represents 2008 in Nascar, whether we like them or not. The so-called Car of Tomorrow is here to stay, because Nascar says it is. That doesn't mean that it won't be refined, re-tested, and re-done, but it's here, and it's what we've got.

A ton of drivers tested the COT yesterday at Bristol. Many drivers had great things to say about it, but a few didn't. I wasn't there, so I'm just guessing here, but I think that whether the drivers like it or not, he's here to stay. Nascar has decreed so, in it's infinite wisdom.

I've seen some cars on the street that look a bit like these exciting new Cars of Tomorrow. You probably have too. A Honda, or Nissan, or Toyota, or maybe even a Mitsubishi with a whale tale rear spoiler and something approaching a front air dam on the front. Nascar calls the front piece a 'splitter', which is good, because we certainly wouldn't want to offend any dam people.

From what I hear, the COT will actually be safer, which I'm all for. I don't know if it will be any fast or more competitive, but at least it will supposedly be safer, and I can't argue with that logic. Let's hope that we don't hear of any deaths associated with the COT.

Nascar will issure the splitter and the wing, apparently. More parts of cars will now be mandated by Nascar. I don't know that I like that, but hey, if you want to play, you got to pay. Before it's over with, will Nascar just issue complete cars as does IROC? I wonder.

Obviously, I'm not a huge fan of the COT, but I know the signs. Get used to it, because it's here to stay, like it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments. All I ask is that you keep it clean here.