Friday, October 5, 2007

Parity in Penalties in NASCAR?

Note: This was originally posted February 16, 2007.

It was a very interesting afternoon. First, Mikey races for his life and wrecks Dale Earnhardt Jr., but Dale Jr. fights back and finishes 2nd to Tony Stewart. Then on the last lap of the 2nd qualifier, Jeff Gordon passes everyone and wins.

Or did he?

Post race inspection found that the 24 Chevy of Gordon was an inch too low. An inch? Is that all?

If I were Michael Waltrip, which I'm not, I'd be questioning Nascars decision to penalize me 100 owners and drivers points and run off my crew chief and my competition director. Jeff Gordon won the race, but his car was an inch too low? What difference does it make to follow or break the rules when Nascar is so blatantly selective in how it dishes out it's punishment?

In 2006, Jimmie Johnson lost his crew chief for 4 races, but that did not stop him from winning the Daytona 500. Jimmie was penalized no drivers points. This year, Jeff Gordon must start in 42nd spot in the Daytona 500 for having incorrectly installed suspension parts on his car, but Michael get's fined 100 points for having a suspicious substance in his intake manifold?

If I'm Mikey, I'm asking the same question his brother, Darrell asked in the commercials:

"Where's the love, man?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments. All I ask is that you keep it clean here.