Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Changes coming in the Nascar Nationwide Series?

First it was Winston becoming Nextel, and next year Sprint. Next year it will be Busch becoming Nationwide. ESPN's Terry Blount is reporting that there might be other changes too, such as limiting Nextel, or, excuse me , next year Sprint regulars from earning points in the Nationwide series. I think most of us agree that something needs to change in Nascar's second series. Too many young drivers are being locked out of the field by drivers from the elite series that also choose to dabble in the other series.

Says Terry Blount:

"All we've done at this point is ask the teams how they would feel about various changes," said NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston. 'Nothing has been decided. It's all very preliminary.' The most interesting idea being discussed is a new rule that would state any driver ranked in the top 35 in Cup points could not earn points competing in the Nationwide race. The plan would go into affect in 2009."


For the rest of Terry Blount's article, click here

I think Nascar is on the right track for once. Cup driver have helped the Busch series in the past by helping sell more tickets. Cup drivers will be important to the Nationwide series as well, but really, the Nationwide series should be a place for young drivers to make a splash in Nascar, to attract owners and sponsors, and not just be a play date for the Cup folks. Like I said, I think Nascar is going in the right direction with this idea, but I think they might end up having to eventually limit the number of Cup drivers that participate in the Nationwide series in order to allow more small teams to compete.

I'm glad that Nascar is at least thinking about making some changes for the soon to be former Busch series, and normally I really detest Nascar tinkering with the rules, especially since the ascension of Brian France to the corner office at Nascar HQ. I feel that in this case, at least, that making some changes are warranted.

The changes that Nascar is reportedly considering make more sense than any other theory I've heard thus far. I've thought a lot about it, and I can't come up with a better plan at the moment.

What about you? Let me know what you would do!

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog in cyberspace...great stuff!

    I still don't have a firm grip on how the Nationwide Series should work, but you sure lose part of our free enterprise system if you do not allow Cup regulars to be on equal footing when they drive in the #2 series!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments. All I ask is that you keep it clean here.